- Coast Guard Helps Univ. of Hawaii Research Vessel - A boat carrying a group of scientists on a University of Hawaii Marine Center research trip was headed back to shore Friday after it began taking on water 60 miles north of Oahu.
- The Tallest Mountains in the Solar System | Surprising Science - Earth just squeaks into this top ten list with this active volcano on the island of Hawaii (remember, mountains are measured from their base to their peak, and Mauna Loa’s base is far beneath the ocean surface).
- Student Teams Take Up NASA Rocket Launch Challenge | NASA & Student Launch Projects Initiative | Rockets & STEM Education | Space.com - More than 500 students from middle schools, high schools and universities across the country will show off their rocketeering skills during a NASA contest in April.
- Hawaii launches web directory of green employers - 05 Jan 2012 - News from BusinessGreen - Industries that want a clearer picture of green employment in Hawaii can tap into a new online resource that lists companies with green jobs on their payroll.
- Dark matter's 'cosmic web' revealed - The Daily Record - The international project involved studying images collected over a period of five years by the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope (CFHC) on Mauna Kea mountain in Hawaii.
- Final Health IT Innovators Win Funding For Cancer Treatment Apps | Vadvert - UK Paid Press Release Distribution Service - Innovative winners of an HHS public data and cancer challenge have created health IT applications that use public data and existing technology to help patients and health care professionals prevent, detect, diagnose and treat cancer.
Each week I pore through Google alerts to find Hawaii's science and tech news. These are my finds for January 9th through January 12th: