- HPCwire: Computer Simulations Illustrate Scope of Japanese Disaster - NOAA, as well as a number of research institution, rely on the MOST model for tsunami forecasting. MOST (Method of Splitting Tsunami) is a suite of numerical codes capable of simulating three processes of tsunami evolution: earthquake, transoceanic propagation, and inundation of dry land.
- Photo Release -- NASA Global Hawk Takes the Earth's Temperature Over the Pacific Ocean (NYSE:NOC) - A Northrop Grumman (NYSE:NOC)-produced Global Hawk high altitude unmanned aircraft began a series of flights over the Pacific Ocean on Feb. 11 as part of a campaign to study atmospheric rivers.
- Briefs: Grant Will Help Hawaii Establish State Technology Office - Thanks to a $3 million grant from the Hawaii Community Foundation (HCF), Hawaii will create a new Office of Information Management and Technology (OIMT), which will be led by the state’s first CIO.
- Mānoa: Grey Hats place second in regional collegiate cyber defense competition | University of Hawaii News - The UH Mānoa Grey Hats, made up of eight Information and Computer Science students, recently placed second in the at-large regional Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition on Saturday, March 5.
- Mānoa: College of Education launches 3-D virtual environment Second Life Island | University of Hawaii News - The UH Mānoa College of Education Second Life Island (COE SL) is complete.
- Successful tech transfer leads to more Hawaiian exports - Hawaii growers can now export more fruits and vegetables to the U.S. mainland, thanks to technology advanced by U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) scientists and cooperators.
- SANYO's pedal-assist eneloop bike makes a big debut in Hawaii | Greener Ideal - After winning the award for 'Best of Innovations' at CES 2010, the eneloop bike manufactured by SANYO and created in partnership with World of Green, LLC, is being introduced to bike rental shops all across Hawaii. SANYO's intention is to provide vacationers with an eco-friendly and comfortable travel option when going on long sight-seeing trips around the island.
- Mānoa: SUPER-M team returns to Moloka'i for weekend of mathematics | University of Hawaii News - University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa mathematics and engineering students, faculty and staff will team up on Friday and Saturday, February 25-26, with Moloka‘i High and Aka’ula Middle School to teach math to K-12 students and their families.
Each week I pore through Google alerts to find Hawaii's science and tech news. These are my finds for March 21st: